Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Car Light Story

I thought I would share one of my stories about being Deaf.  One of my fears of driving is being pulled over by the police.  I am afraid that they won't believe that I am Deaf because I speak so clearly.  Well about a year ago I just got my license.  I was driving back home from a babysitting job.  It was getting dark and I wasn't paying very close attention to my driving as I probably should have.  I pulled up to a stop sign about a mile from my house.  I stopped and saw a police car to my right stop after I did.  I made a left turn to head home and then lights started flashing.  My heart sank into my stomach.  I wasn't speeding I knew that!  After I pulled over he pulled up behind me.  He had a bright light from his car shining into my side mirror and when he came to my window he had a flashlight shining into my eyes.  I couldn't see a thing!  Lipreading was impossible with all the light pouring into my face.  Right then I made the decision that I wouldn't make a sound.  I handed him a card that said "I am Deaf."  After he read the card he started to flail his arms and try to act out what he wanted.  Finally he communicated that something was wrong with my lights.  I don't know exactly what because his miming was difficult to understand.  After everything was figured out he told me I could go.  During all this time I was so scared that I was going to get arrested or something terrible like that.  I was so relieved afterwards I almost sped home.  Thankfully I haven't had to go through that again!

No comments: